1.20.2010

Vintage napkin Turned Clutch [Tutorial]



First tutorial. Second blog post. Shall we proceed?
I'm a huge fan of finding things for cheap inexpensive prices and I love vintage. The name kind of makes happy inside and I found myself recently saying it a lot lately. Sorry fam! Well, last weekend I went to an estate sale and was it ever a hit! I could do a post on those finds later. (not to mention I got a sweet OWL tote. for ten cents. yep 10 cents!) Okay anyhow I found a stack of mis-matched napkins.. and who uses fabric napkins anymore?--- the dude sold me the lot for a dollar. So lets say each cost about 20 cents.
Anyhow this could be done with any piece of fabric but I especially liked this because the edges were already taken care (serged).

So I ironed out the beast to get the creases out...
 
Then i folded each side in 4 inches and ironed it

-- then onto the sewing machine!


Then I sewed down the center seams that will eventually be pockets I started about 5 or so inches from the top and sewed both sides down

Okay so this was BEFORE I had messed up and had to take out the stitches out.. so imagine that there are two seams down the middle. K?
Then sew the sides up, I sewed them all the -- up to the cover.
 
My machine (er my mom's twin machine..) has marks 3-4-5-6 -- I used the 3 as my guideline

And ta-da! with a few stiches you've got a clutch. But now for embelishments...

 
I picked out a white, pearly button and the white eyelet fringe :)

 
I also took yellow chord to make the connection.. -- sort of like the office envelopes with two circles and the string that is looped around the two things to act as a seal for the envelope. Vague description, sorry!
Anyhow, tie it in a knot and sew it down with a number of stitches. The fabric here was not tightly woven so I had to be extra careful!

Then I attached the button. Sorry no pics.
And finally, I sewed 2 layers of eyelet fringe along the bottom. You could do any thing really!  its a great way to use scraps! 



This is the finished clutch. see the string, it gets wound around the button :)




On the inside you've got a nice large space for what ever and then two smaller "pockets".

I think one of my sisters will start using it soon! Yay.

So go sew, sew, sew!


-Joji

No comments:

Post a Comment