2.10.2010

What do do with those tin cans- [tutorial]


Well, Here I am again before I head off to teach ESL tonight I'll give you a quick tutorial.
This is a great way to use those tin cans you have no idea what do do with! I saw the idea in a recycling magazine but there were no step by step directions. This can be altered in just about any way and they are super quick and fun to make.

This is the finished product that we're aiming for.

All of these items are recycled:
Some sort of cloth- mine is from an old pair of knee-shorts that just didn't look right.
A scrap of fabric to put around the middle
Tin can (any size, preferably not a can with the tab on the top where you pull the lid off: because those tend to be sharp, but its up to you)
Embellishments- I used button and wire
and of course, the skiz (err. scissors)
(and Hot glue. my bff)

When cutting the fabric, measure the circumference of the can and add a 1/2 inch so that you have enough to overlap when gluing

Here we are with the materials ready to go
In 5 minutes you'll have a sweet craft
ready.
set.
k

First puncture holes into the top of your can - to make the handle.
I would suggest using something OTHER than the knife. the tip might just break off. I speak from experience. cough.cough.


Now run a seam of glue down the side of the can and adhere the fabric to it starting at one end. then roll the fabric around to the other side. You can put a few "placement dots" along the way for more secure fabric.

(I used the inside of the fabric because it looked cool)
Now the can is wrapped
Now for the wire.

pop it through... and twist it to secure it on one end (for this size I would suggest about 9in of wire)
Then put it through the other side to make the handle.

I used wire to thread the button to use for the next step. It might be easier to just use thread-- but its up to you.
Glue the fabric strip around (really you can use anything to deck the can)

I started by threading the wire [under] the strip of glued down fabric
Then I popped it back up through and took pliers and worked it all together (twisting and twirling and so on)

Now its done, sorry the one side is blown out.. but its white over there (and um.. make sure you center things properly.. I'll try a little harder next time ;)

You can't really see it, due to -- said lighting -- but I put a tag on there with my friends initial and i hope to give it to her at school tomorrow. She's been begging me to make something for her.
wah-La (i know its usually spelled viola okay, internet, I really do!)

-- I made another one after dinner with a pop can- yes it IS called pop.. -- but i made some rolled flowers and bows and such. its cute too. I used a piece of khaki canvas to make the handle and I used safety pins to attach it to the sides. super cute rendition. 

Okay. Now to go teach some English, and love those that God's called me to love.

It's almost V-day. I don't have  a V-- yet. but in due time, i'll wait patiently for him to come. In the mean time, i'll get to see my Nephew, ty, for Valentines day. Sweet valentine in my humble opinion!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment